Capitol Hill Inquirer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Debate about a wide scope of political issues at the federal or state level, domestic and international US policy.Impact of those policies in our quality of live.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ENROLL AS A MEMBER TO ENJOY QUICK ACCESS TO HARD TO FIND INFO. BE THE MOST INFORMED! ENROLL TODAY, WE WANT TO HEAR YOUR VOICE!
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

Poll
Do you think the 911 events were an inside job , with full involment of Bush cabinet over the attack to our own people?
I believe was an inside job, the evidence is out there.
Brazil ready to infringe US drug patents I_vote_lcap81%Brazil ready to infringe US drug patents I_vote_rcap
 81% [ 25 ]
I don't believe in conspiracy theories, but I understand some government agencies were trying to hide theirs errors.
Brazil ready to infringe US drug patents I_vote_lcap3%Brazil ready to infringe US drug patents I_vote_rcap
 3% [ 1 ]
Whoever believe in the Inside job theory is out of his mind.
Brazil ready to infringe US drug patents I_vote_lcap13%Brazil ready to infringe US drug patents I_vote_rcap
 13% [ 4 ]
I'm not informed enough to made an educated choice.
Brazil ready to infringe US drug patents I_vote_lcap3%Brazil ready to infringe US drug patents I_vote_rcap
 3% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 31
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 147 on Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:33 am
Place your ad here

Brazil ready to infringe US drug patents

Go down 
AuthorMessage
KingOftheHill

KingOftheHill

Brazil ready to infringe US drug patents Empty
PostSubject: Brazil ready to infringe US drug patents   Brazil ready to infringe US drug patents EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 4:16 pm

By Jonathan Wheatley in São Paulo

Published: August 30 2009 17:41 | Last updated: August 31 2009 14:59

Brazil is preparing to infringe patents on US pharmaceutical products, in retaliation against subsidies for US cotton farmers, according to the Brazilian press.

The World Trade Organisation is expected to rule on Monday that Brazil can contravene the drug patents, say the reports.Brazil led a challenge against US cotton subsidies in 2002 and, two years later, the WTO ruled that about $3bn paid to US cotton farmers each year distorted global prices and violated trade rules.

The US has continued the subsidies, arguing that the measures were consistent with its WTO obligations. But the WTO has supported Brazil’s case. It allowed Brazil to retaliate in 2005 but Brasília has instead sought a negotiated settlement to avoid damaging relations with the US, until recently its biggest trading partner.

However, Brazil has become increasingly frustrated by the US refusal to remove its subsidies and, under pressure from its own cotton growers, is reported to be preparing to retaliate.

One option would be to raise import tariffs against US goods. But Brazil is a relatively small US market, taking $32bn out of $1,287bn of US exports last year.

Instead it is preparing to take action over intellectual property, an area of much greater significance to the US. The WTO is expected to include this possibility in its ruling on Monday. According to a report in a Brazilian newspaper the government has prepared a “provisional measure” – a presidential decree that takes immediate effect, although it must later be ratified by Congress – to allow Brazilian pharmaceuticals companies to copy medicines protected by US patents.

In 2007 Brazil followed Thailand in overriding a patent on a pivotal HIV medicine, allowing it to buy equivalents of Efavirenz, patented by Merck, from rival generic suppliers under provisions permitted by WTO rules.

The move followed years of brinkmanship during which Brazil achieved steep discounts on HIV drugs by threatening to break patents.

Its expected move on Monday comes in the context of growing frustration in Brasília at the Obama administration’s reluctance to act on farm subsidies affecting cotton and other sectors of Brazilian agribusiness, especially sugar and ethanol.

Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2009. You may share using our article tools. Please don't cut articles from FT.com and redistribute by email or post to the we
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1